Willed in 1936 to the Girl Scout, by Carolyn Gangwer Caughey, from 1939 until 1979, "Rockwood" served as a gathering place for local, national and international Girl Scouts and Girl Guides. Day and overnight camping, program events and meetings filled the crowded calendar. Rockwood was established as a Girl Scouts of the USA National Center in 1952 and was sold to the State of Maryland in 1979.
Friends of Rockwood gathered memorabilia, photos and artifacts that help today's troops learn about this very special place on Macarthur Blvd. near Great Falls Lock in Maryland. Girls can make postcards from the old linoleum block Included are biographies of the many women and Girl Scouts that inspired and made possible "Rockwood" such as Carolyn Gangwer Caughey, Lou Henry Hoover. Henrietta Bates Brooke, Irene Knox. Jan Malone and Helen Johnston.