Camp Tuckerman, In June 1957, a special exception was granted by the Montgomery County Board of Appeals to GSCNC to permit a Girl Scout Camp in time without end on what is now known as the “Parkway Tract”. This expectation was the result of a bequest from the Tuckerman family, donating what was once family farmland to the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
The History of Camp Tuckerman
Camp Tuckerman has a long history as a Girl Scout Summer Day Camp which dates back to the 1960’s. There has been “gaps” when the camp did not hold session but currently camp has resumed running on this site since1986. The camp is located at the Robert C. McDonnell Campground, off Tuckerman Lane in Rockville Maryland. The site is scenic with lots of trees, a meadow, a stream and many different types of wildlife. It’s hard to believe that such a wonderful place is so close to a busy, urban area. In all there are seven camp sites. During camp these sites are used for running various “units”. Although the park service numbered the sites, camp members have given them names.
This page researched and submitted as a Silver Award Project